Asparagus is healthy, therefore this recipe is healthy right? Just ignore the pool of grease and butter in the bottom of the casserole dish and focus on that beautiful green vegetable.
- 2 lbs. fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) salted butter
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Divide the asparagus into bundles of either three or four. This will depend on how many slices of bacon are in the package and how many asparagus spears. Start from the bottom of the stalks and wrap around bundle until most of the asparagus is tucked away. I didn’t have an issue with the bundles coming undone, but toothpicks can be used if this is a problem.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, soy sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil until the mixture can be easily poured over the bundles.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes until the bacon is cooked and the asparagus is wilted. Drain on a paper towel to prevent gall bladder attack, or least lessen chances.