So you don’t enjoy sauerkraut, eh? Well this recipe may have you thinking twice! Guaranteed to satisfy any German craving with beer soaked brats, cheese soaked kraut, and crispy potatoes. Momma has officially claimed this to be her favorite recipe, probably because of that Ubelhor blood.
- 10 Johnsonville beer bratwursts
- 2 Bud Lights
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 16 oz. can sauerkraut, drained
- 10 oz. can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 3/4 c. milk
- 32 oz. bag tater tots
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c. chopped green onion
- Cover and boil the brats in beer for approximately 15 minutes with a secure lid. Once the brats are cooked through, transfer to a cutting board and drain the saucepan. Place the butter in the same saucepan. While the butter is melting, slice the brats into bite size pieces. Brown in the butter and transfer to a greased 9×13″ casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 450*.
- Spread the drained sauerkraut over the brats.
- In a measuring bowl add the milk and cheddar cheese soup (undiluted) and whisk until smooth. Pour over sauerkraut.
- Add the tater tots evenly on top of the rest of the casserole and bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese and green onions on top of the browned tater tots and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Yields 8 servings
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!