Carrots, celery, and potatoes in a cheeseburger recipe? Now before I lose y’all with the veggies, these ingredients smothered in Velveeta cheese are unrecognizable! My secret ingredients are in the form of seasonings. Both the Weber Gourmet Burger and Patti’s Seasoning pair wonderfully with the meat and potatoes and give it a smoky flavor. Patti’s 1880’s Settlement Restaurant in Grand Rivers, Kentucky is known for its two inch thick pork chops, flower pot bread, and strawberry butter. (Purchase the seasoning here.)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. Weber Gourmet Burger Seasoning
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1 c. shredded matchstick carrots
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 2.5 lbs. red potatoes, diced
- 1/4 c. flour
- 16 oz. block Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1.5 c. milk
- 1 Tbsp. Patti’s Seasoning
- Optional: croutons, bacon bits
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot. Season with Weber Gourmet Burger. Drain and set to the side.
- In the same pot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add in onion, celery, carrots, basil, and parsley. Sauté until tender.
- Add in broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Top with a lid and boil for approximately 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender (this will vary based on how small/large the potatoes were diced).
- In a small saucepan melt the remaining 3 Tablespoons of butter and whisk in flour gradually until incorporated. Stir and cook for additional 2 minutes. Add into the soup.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in Velveeta, meat, and Patti’s. Cover and allow to simmer until cheese has melted.
- Serve and top with croutons!
Yields approximately 8 servings.