I have found that you either love or hate Hacienda’s Mexican gravy that is served on top of their famous wet burritos. Personally, I love the sauce due to my displeasure of enchilada sauce; so when I found this copycat recipe, I was beyond thrilled! The sauce didn’t quite have the richness that I was hoping for, but I believe adding less enchilada sauce next time will bring it closer to the original!
- 2.5 lbs. ground beef
- 1/3 c. taco seasoning
- 2 tsp. Better Than Beef Bouillon, divided
- 12 oz. bottle beer
- 2.5 c. unsalted beef stock, divided
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 19 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 8 large burrito-size tortillas
- 4 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Other: lettuce, beans, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the ground beef and brown until mostly cooked. Drain fat. Return back to pan.
- Stir the taco seasoning into the meat, along with 1 tsp. Better Than Bouillon. Pour in the beer and 1 c. beef stock, stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid is almost gone (we want a consistency that will do well in a burrito and won’t leak everywhere while assembling.
- To make the sauce: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the 1.5 c. stock, then the enchilada sauce (I am opting to use less next time), 1 tsp. Better Than Bouillon and chili powder. Simmer until thickened.
- Spray a 9×13′ glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Spoon the beef mixture into the center of a tortilla. Add in and small amount of shredded cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo, and whatever other toppings your prefer (save the sour cream and guacamole for the top). Wrap the burrito up and place in the prepared dish. Once all burritos are wrapped, pour the sauce over and top with the remaining 2 c. of shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Top with a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.
Yields 8 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!