Only one more test standing in the way of Spring Break 2016! I took a break from studying the lymphatic system to make this delicious soul warming pasta dish for the fam bam. Spinach goes down the pipes easier when smothered in creamy ricotta cheese! And let us not forget the marvelous Prego brand Pesto Mariana which is liquid gold!!
- 14 oz. package of jumbo pasta shells
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 2 (8 oz.) packages spinach leaves, rough chopped
- 32 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 tsp. garlic salt
- 3/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
- 32 oz. jar of pasta sauce (Prego brand Pesto Marinara is FIRE)
- parsley for garnish
- Cook shells according to package directions. We want aldente because they will continue to cook in the oven. (Noone likes slimy water-logged noodles!)
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat and drain off the fat. Next add in the spinach leaves and allow to wilt down (about 1-2 minutes).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, approximately 1.5 cups of the mozzarella, 1/2 of the parmesan, eggs, oregano, and garlic powder. Stir in spinach and sausage mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Spread the pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan, plus another small casserole dish (all the shells won’t fit in one). Fill each of the cooked shells with the spinach mixture and place them open side facing up in the pasta sauce.
- Spinkle the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese over the top and cover with foil. Bake for 25-35 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Remove foil and broil until cheese is lightly browned.