Wonderfully easy and savory weeknight meal. I’m about 99% sure my father had three helpings. Of course I double the meat because the Whitakers are carnivores; in addition, the cheese amount may be fudged. Basically add enough cheese to completely cover every inch of the casserole.
- 12 oz. box bowtie noodles
- 2 lb. Reduced Fat Jimmy Dean Sausage
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 14.5 oz. Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10 oz. package frozen creamed spinach, thawed
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Salt boiling water and cook pasta according to directions.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet brown the sausage and onion. (I chose not to drain the grease because it added such wonderful artery clogging traits to the creamy sauce)
- Add in the spinach, tomatoes, and softened cream cheese. Once incorporated add in 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Spray a 11 x 7 in. glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and toss together the cooked noodles and meat mixture. Top with remaining cheese and bake until desired melty goodness (approximately 20 minutes for gooey heaven).
Yields 6 “Whitaker” Servings… which translates to roughly 8 standard servings
Eat, bork, and be merry y’all.