I learned a valuable lesson this week… Men are worse then women when it comes to spilling secrets. We attempted to host a surprise celebration for my sweet boyfriend, but factory workers can’t seem to keep their mouths shut while working on the line. I finally changed the plan for the last time and hosted a marvelous party at my grandma’s house. This cute cupcake idea I found on Pinterest was absolutely perfect for my owl-loving Dayne! Of course it was carrot cake – his absolute favorite!
- 1 package of Oreos
- 1 box of Super Moist carrot cake – or any flavor you desire (may require eggs and oil)
- chocolate icing
- 1 bag of M&Ms
- 1/4 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to temp that is recommended on the back of the cake mix for cupcakes (this will be different than cake baking temp). Line a cupcake baking tin with paper cups and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the boxed carrot cake mix according to directions, which will require eggs and oil per directions.
- Fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake according to the directions on the cake mix box for cupcakes.
- Once time is up, use a toothpick to check if the cupcakes are baked through. If the toothpick comes out clean, they are ready to be removed and transferred to a cooling rack.
- While cupcakes are cooling, use a knife and carefully separate the Oreo cookies in half – leaving the cream just on one side of the cookie. Place the plain brown cookies off the the side (I made Dirt Pudding with these). Take two of the same color (not orange) M&Ms and place then on the furthest edge of the white cream. Press in gently until the M&M is securely nestled in the cream without breaking the cookie underneath.
- To assemble: Frost the cooled cupcakes with the chocolate icing (this acts as the glue). Take the Oreos complete with M&M eyes and place adjacent to each other in the center of the cupcake. It is alright if they hang off the sides. Gently press down until the cookies are secured. Place one orange M&M sideways under the eyes. Place two chocolate chips above the eyes. Your owl is complete!!
Yields approximately 20 cupcakes depending on the box mix.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry