These are considered healthy right? Nutrient-rich green beans instead of starchy potatoes. I consider that a delightful alternative.
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 c. beer (I used cheap Rolling Rock)
- 1 c. flour
- 2 tsp. salt + more for after frying
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- optional : ranch dressing
- In a medium sized pot, toss in green beans. Fill with cold water until all the beans are covered. Top with lid. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.and then allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Place pot in the sink and run cold water over beans. Throw in ice to stop the cooking process. Drain the beans and dry on stack of paper towels.
- In the same pot used to boil the beans, add about 2 inches of oil and heat to about 360-370* (I never measure temp, just test a bean until bubbles form).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beer, flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Dip each green bean into the batter and add to hot oil. The bean will stick to the bottom of the pan – wait about a minute until the batter has slightly crisped and use a fork to gently release. They will float to the top and allow to fry a few more minutes until golden brown. Work in batches, making sure to not crowd the beans or they will stick.
- Transfer crispy beans from oil to a plate lined with paper towels to drain off excess oil. Optional: sprinkle with more salt while still moist.
- Best served with Ranch dressing for dipping.
Yields approximately 6 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!