The Whitaker family can “throw down” when it comes to eating meat, but the 4 pound pork roast won last night. So instead of eating leftovers for several days, I decided to use the carnitas pork in this delighful recipe!
- leftover Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (about 3 c.)
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can creamed corn
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chilies
- 1 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 c. shredded pepper jack cheese
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400*. Spray a 10×10 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornbread mix, egg, and milk. Stir until just combined, do not overmix. Add in creamed corn and green chilies. Pour into prepared casserole dish and bake for about 25 minutes until the top begins to lightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and poke hope all over. Pour enchilada sauce into the holes and cover the top of the cornbread.
- Lower oven temp to 350*.
- Spread carnitas meat on top and sprinkle cheese over meat. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Yields 8 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!