This recipe is proof that a healthy recipe can be delicious! The sausage can be replaced with ground turkey to make it even healthier. The original recipe called for bread crumbs which could be sprinkled over the top, but unfortunately I completely skipped that step. It would’ve been a marvelous addition!
- 5-6 zucchinis
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1/4 c. onion, diced
- 1/4 c. red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1.5 c. shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375*. Pour about 1 cup of water into a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Slice off stem nubbin from each zucchini and slice in halve lengthwise. Use the knife to “score” the zucchini by making a large rectangle along the inside border of the zucchini. Use a spoon to carefully scoop out the innards and transfer to a small bowl. Do not break through the skin! Once all zucchinis have been scooped out, place into the baking dish of water. Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes or until the zucchini is just barely fork tender. Use a fork and place the zucchini boast onto a paper towel. Discard the water and pour about 1 cup of pasta sauce into the dish. Place the zucchinis back into the dish skin side down.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add in the sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until the meat is well done. Add in the zucchini innards that were scooped out previously, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and remaining pasta sauce. Cook until the mixture begins to boil.
- Spoon the meat mixture into each zucchini boat. Top each boat with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place under the broiler for approximately 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned.
Yields 6 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!