One of my mom’s weeknight go-to meals is a super easy recipe that includes canned green beans, smoked sausage, and seasonings. When my grandma sent us home with a large bag of farm fresh green beans, I instantly thought of vamping up her classic recipe. What better way to add flavor than by giving it a cajun twist??
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 (14 oz.) packages of smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2″ coins
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp. butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 lbs. farm fresh green beans, trimmed and cut
- 2 tsp. Emril’s Cajun Essence seasoning
- In a large skillet with high sides and a firm fitting lid, warm the oil over medium high heat. Add in the onion, pepper, and celery. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the veggies become translucent.
- Add in the sausage and cook until browned. Pour in chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Reduce the heat to medium heat and cover with the lid. Simmer for an hour or until the green beans are tender and a darker green color. The mixture will still be soupy, which is the best part!
Yields about 6 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!