Happy Valentine’s Day my dear friends! What better way to say “I love you” than with a sugar coma?
- 1/3 c. butter, softening
- 1/3 c. butter flavored Crisco shortening
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. red food coloring
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 – 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 16 oz. cream cheese frosting (homemade or store bought)
- Preheat oven to 350*. Butter two cookie sheets and set to the side.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking soda and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine the butter, shortening, sugars, vanilla, egg, and food coloring. Whisk with a hand mixer until smooth and the color is a deep red (the flour won’t change the color too significantly).
- Slow add the flour mixture to the red mixture and gently fold the ingredients together until incorporated. Add the chocolate chips.
- Use two table spoons to form and drop the dough onto the cookie sheets, avoiding hand contact with the dough to preserve the butter. To achieve thick cookies, mound the cookie dough up higher than it is wide. It will look like odd, but as the cookies bake, they will remain thick and chewy!
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
- Once the cookie are completely cooled, pipe icing into a large circle in the middle of the cookie, leaving about 1/2 inch around the edges. Gently press the other cookie down until the icing spreads to the edges. ENJOY!
Yields about 2 dozen cookies, about 8 sandwiches (I know the math doesn’t add up, I promise you will have cookies stolen while they are cooling!)
Eat, Bork, & Be Merry!