So the stuffed mushrooms were definitely considered the “cheat” portion of tonight’s dinner, and I tried to keep the main course alittle more diet friendly. For some reason, people don’t understand the true dietary importance of fried bacon (extreme sarcasm). Or maybe it is the emotional importance? (hehe)
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- about 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb. bacon
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 c. shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2 stalks green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half “long ways”. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and excess stringy innards. Drizzle about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil onto each half and use your hands to rub it around on the inside. Salt and pepper.
- Turn the spaghetti squash upside down with the flesh down onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until the squash begins to shred away into “noodles”.
- While squash is cooking, fry the bacon in a large pan. Drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Cook the chicken in the bacon grease, being sure to salt and pepper each side of the chicken before cooking. Once cooked through, shred and place with the bacon.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, parmesan cheese, and seasonings. Whisk until combined.
- Turn the squash over, and shred the flesh. Transfer the “noodles” to the egg mixture in the large mixing bowl. Add in chicken and bacon. Toss until combined.
- Add the carbonara back to the squash shells. If they won’t sit upright, take a knife and cut a flat surface on the bottom. Top with shredded cheese and green onions. Broil until cheese is browned.
Yields 4 servings.
Eat, Bork, & Be Merry!
One thought on “Spaghetti Squash Carbonara Boats”
LikeLiked by 1 person