- 1/2 c. salted butter (1 stick), room temp
- zest from 1 large lemon
- 1 c. + 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. + 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c. fresh blueberries
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350*. Prepare a 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper and grease with butter generously. Set to the side.
- In a medium-sized bowl, gently toss the blueberries in 1/4 c. flour and set to the side.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and lemon zest with a hand mixer. Add 1 c. sugar and the egg and mix until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the 2 c. flour, baking powder, and salt. Once combined, add half of this mixture to the “wet” bowl and stir with a spatula until combined. Add the buttermilk and stir until combine. Mix in the remaining flour mixtures.
- Add blueberries to the bowl, but leave the excess flour behind. Gently fold in the berries so they are not crushed.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan, sprinkle the top evenly with 1 Tbsp. of sugar, and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a baking rack before serving. Cut into 12 pieces.
Yields 12 servings | 226 calories per serving
Eat, Bork, & Be Merry!