Here is a lighter take on a classic! I love this recipe because the patties can be made ahead of time for a hastle-free weeknight dinner. This recipe can also be modified and made into party appetizers! Simply buy dinner rolls and shape the patties much smaller for easy finger food!
- 2 lbs. ground chicken
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 c. Italian-seasoning breadcrumbs (can be substituted for whole wheat)
- 2 (8 oz.) packages fresh mozzarella cheese (sliced would be fine too with less calories)
- 8 hamburger buns
- 12 oz. Basil marinara sauce
- Optional: fresh basil, rough chop
- Preheat oven to 400*. Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, seasonings, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Combine by hand until the ingredients are evenly mixed together. Divide the mixture into 8 even patties (this makes large patties, you can always make them smaller to create more) to accommodate your buns. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, flip the patties and bake for an additional 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and place a thick slice of fresh mozzarella on each patty. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Remove from the oven and mound a large spoon full of marinara on top of the melted cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes to warm the sauce.
- Place on lightly toasted buns to serve.
Yields 8 servings | 402 calories per burger (no bun)
Eat, Bork, & Be Merry!