This is a perfect weeknight dinner that certainly does not lack in flavor! Spicy andouille sausage pairs wonderfully with a zesty tomato rice that will warm you from the toes up!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 13.5 oz. package andouille sausage, cut into 1″ slices
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 lbs. (approximately 6) boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 c. Tony Chachere’s Creole Style Chicken 30 Minute Marinade
- 1 tsp. Nature’s Seasoning
- 2 tsp. Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 c. uncooked long-grain white rice
- bundle of green onions
- gallon Ziplock bag
- In a gallon-sized Ziplock bag combine the chicken thighs and marinade. Place in the ridge for a minimum of 2 hours (mine was in for 6 hours).
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- In a large iron skillet, heat 1/3 of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Toss chicken pieces into oil and cook until a crispy brown crust forms (does not have to be fully cooked through since cooking will continue in the oven). Transfer chicken to a 9×13″ glass baking dish.
- In the same skillet, heat another 1/3 of olive oil in pan and cook the peppers and onions until the onions become translucent. Add in garlic and cook until aromatic. Season with 1 tsp. of creole seasoning. Transfer to the glass baking dish as well.
- Heat the final 1/3 of olive oil and brown the andouille sausage, adding to the glass dish once cooked.
- To the glass baking dish, add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, rice, cheese, Nature’s Seasoning, and remaining creole seasoning. Stir until everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, and allow the dish to sit for 5 minutes to set-up. Garnish with green onion.
Yields approximately 6 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!