- 2 c. uncooked long grain white rice, steamed
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 c. sweet onion, diced
- 1 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 c. frozen peas
- 20 oz. tomato sauce, divided
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white
- 3/4 c. shredded Parmesan
- cooking spray
- 1/4 c. Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- fresh basil
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown both the sausage and turkey. Once the meat begins to brown, add in the onion, 3/4 tsp. of salt, and 3/4 tsp. pepper. Once onions become translucent, add in 1.5 c. of tomato sauce and frozen peas. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice, 1 tsp. salt shredded Parmesan, eggs, and 1/2 c. of tomato sauce and mix well. We want a sticky texture to build our bowl.
- Spray a 9×13″ glass baking dish with non stick cooking spray, including the sides.
- Place about half of the rice mixture into the bottom of the dish and compress down to bottom and sides, forming an even layer.
- Add the meat inside the rice bowl and top with 1 c. shredded mozzarella. Cover with remaining rice and press down until even. Top with remaining tomato sauce, then breadcrumbs. Spray top with nonstick cooking spray to aid in breadcrumb browning.
- Cover with foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil. Remove the foil and broil until breadcrumbs are crispy golden brown (be aware that this step does make some rice pieces harden up and become crunchy as well).
Yields about 10 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!