Such a wonderful summer we are having this winter! I refuse to let the abnormally high temps prevent me from making a soul-warming winter soup.
- 1 lb. Jennie-O ground turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 6 oz. bag matchstick carrots
- 6 celery stalks, trimmed and diced
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp. Better Than Bouillon beef paste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 32 oz. beef stock
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 (8 oz.) bags of dry cheese tortellinis
- 3 (12 oz.) cans of 2% Lowfat evaporated milk
- 8 oz. bag of spinach leaves
- as needed: 1 c. milk
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
- Brown ground turkey sausage in a pan over medium high heat and transfer to slow cooker. Do not overcook, just want a some crispy pieces. Next, add in the diced onion and celery, carrots,, garlic, Italian seasoning, beef paste, salt and beef stock. Cover with lid and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours.
- After timer sounds, mix the cornstarch and water until smooth. Add to the slow cooker, as well as, the three cans of evaporated milk and tortellinis. Stir until all tortellinis are submerged, cover, and cook on high for an additional 45 minutes or until the soup has thickened up.
- Add in the spinach leaves and continue cooking for additional 15 minutes until wilted. If the soup is too thick for your liking, add 1/3 c. milk in at a time until desired consistency has been reached. The original recipes states that the chef used the entire 1 cup to thin her soup out, I didn’t use any. Finally, add two types of cheeses and heat until melted, approximately 5 minutes.
Yields 10 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!
One thought on “Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup”
LikeLiked by 1 person