- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1-1.5 lbs. ground sweet Italian sausage or ground beef
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz. jar Prego Pesto Marinara
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. red chili flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb. box mini bowtie noodles
- 1/2 of 15 oz. tub ricotta cheese
- 1 small egg
- 3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- Prepare pasta according to directions on package, being sure to salt boiling water before adding pasta.
- Preheat oven to 375* and spray a 9×13″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss in onions and cook until translucent. Stir in garlic and cook until aromatic. Add in sausage and brown. Once sausage is cooked, add in diced tomatoes, marinara, Italian seaoning, pepper flakes, plus salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the egg, ricotta, 1 cup of shredded mozzarella, parmesan, and garlic salt. Stir together until combined.
- Add cooked noodles to bottom of prepared baking dish and combine with the ricotta mixture. Pour the tomato mixture over this layer. Top with the remaining 2 cups of shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, broiling for the last minute or two to brown cheese. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Yields approximately 6 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!