I have finally found the secret to those crinkly, browned green beans that are served at the best Chinese buffets! BROIL THEM FIRST! Who would’ve thought that?
- 1 lb. fresh whole green beans, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. sesame oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1.5 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Move top rack as close to the broiler as possible. Turn on oven broiler and allow to heat up. Line a large cookie sheet, probably 2, with aluminum foil.
- Place green beans, salt, pepper, and 2 Tbsp. of oil into a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Shake until all the beans are coated.
- Lay out beans into a single layer onto the pans.
- Broil for about 8-10 minutes and then stir. Broil for additional 8-10 minutes. Remove when all sides of the beans are crinkly and browned.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the 1 tsp. of oil, chicken broth, and garlic. Whisk together and pour into a wok over medium high heat. Add in the browned green beans.
- Once mixture has started to boil and bubble, add in the cornstarch. Turn off the heat when the mixture has thickened.
Yields 6 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!