Honestly this recipe could be made with just a pound of bacon… but that glorious frying chorus and tantalizing smell attracted some unwanted guests to make an early appearance. This combo sandwich is a match made in heaven!!
- 16 slices of bread (I used Bunny Bread Honey Wheat)
- roughly 1/2 c. margarine
- 16 slices Velveeta cheese
- 2 lbs. of bacon, fried until crispy
- large romaine leaves
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- salt and pepper
- roughly 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- In a large skillet, warm over medium high heat. Butter one side of each piece of bread. Place the butter side down into the warm skillet and top with a slice of cheese. I used an electric skillet because I was able to fit four pieces of bread at a time. After about 4-5 minutes, check that the toast has lightly browned and remove from the skillet (I toasted the top and bottom of the sandwich separate from the other ingredients so that the lettuce and tomatoes wouldn’t get warm, and no flipping was involved).
- On one piece of bread, place a large Romaine leaf folded in half. Next, lay two tomato slices down on the lettuce (To prevent excess moisture, I lay my tomato slices on top of a few layers of paper towels and top with a couple more paper towels). Salt and pepper the slices. Drizzle mayonnaise onto tomatoes. Fold three bacon strips in half and arrange onto sandwich evenly. Top with other piece of toasted bread.
Yields 8 sandwiches.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!