I am forever attempting to find new recipes for my Grandma’s endless tomato crop! I’ve made Grilled Cheese BLT’s, Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad, and various other delicious meals with farm fresh beefsteak tomatoes; but I wanted to find a simple and easy recipe to use up just a few at one time. Tada! I have officially found one!
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1/2 c. Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
- garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- basil for granish
- Preheat oven to 425*. Place an oven safe baking rack on a cookie sheet so that it is slightly elevated from the bottom of the pan (I used the Pampered Chef veggie grill rack). Spray the rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan. Use a fork to break up any larger clumps of cheese and mix until completely incorporated.
- After I slice my tomato with a mandolin, I lay them on a stack of paper towels and top them with a layer of paper towels so that most of the moisture is absorbed. After about 5 minutes, remove the top layer of paper towels and salt and pepper one side.
- Lay the tomatoes, seasoned side down on the rack. Sprinkle the bare side with garlic salt. Spoon the breadcrumbs in a thin layer on top of the tomatoes.
- Drizzle olive oil over breadcrumbs. Just to ensure an even browning, I sprayed the tops slightly with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with basil.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes. I actually went all the way to 20 to get that beautiful breadcrumb crunch. Serve immediately.
Yields 4 servings.
Eat, Bork, and Be Merry!