These rolls are absolute heaven!! With over 4 hours worth of work, I would hope so! So worth it though!
- 1/2 c. warm water (110*)
- 2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1/4 c. + 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 whole milk, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 large yolk
- 4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and diced
- 1/2 c. Oreo cookies, finely chopped
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 c. Oreos, finely chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temp
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. Oreos, finely chopped
- To make the dough: In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water. Add 1 tsp. of sugar and stir to combine. Let sit for 5-7 minutes to allow mixture to bubble and activate.
- Add the warm milk, remaining sugar, egg and egg yolk. Whisk salt into flour and add 2 c. of the flour to the bowl. Begin to mix the dough together. Add another cup of flour to the mixture and continue to mix. Begin mixing in the butter slowly. Add in the final 1 cup of flour and gently knead until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl and it becomes uniform. Mix in the 1/2 c. chopped Oreos.
- Lightly grease a new bowl with butter around the sides. Drop the dough into the bowl and cover with a warm moist towel. Allow the dough to double in size while sitting at room temp (takes about an hour).
- Punch down the dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out into a rectangle measuring about 20″ x 14″.
- For the filling: Spread the 1/3 c. softened butter over dough. Sprinkle sugar and chopped cookies and gently press into the dough.
- Starting along the long side, roll the dough into a log. Slice the log into 12 equal parts, I used plain dental floss to cut through the dough.
- Grease a 9×13″ pan and arrange the buns equally. Cover with a moist wet towel again and allow the rolls to rise for an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350* and bake for about 30-33 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you prepare the frosting.
- In a medium-sized bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and gently spread over rolls. Top with additional crushed Oreos.
Yields 12 servings.
Eat, Bork, & Be Merry!