Here’s a “lighter” take on a Whitaker family weeknight classic! Super simple and bursting with flavor!
- 3 Tbsp. EVOO
- 19 oz. (5 ct.) Jenny-O Turkey Bratwurst
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 oz. Bud Light beer
- 5 hotdog buns
- optional: 5 slices cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Sear the bratwurst on all sides. Keep in mind that the best sear happens when you set the brats down and not disturb them. Once they are browned, set them aside on a plate.
- Add the butter to the pan and use tongs to scrape those delicious browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Toss the onions and peppers in the butter and allow to soften and brown. Season with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire.
- Nestle the brats back into the pan and pour the beer over everything. Place a lid onto the pan and allow to steam to cook the brats for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and allow the beer mixture to boil and reduce, this should take about 10 minutes or less. Watch carefully so that it does not scorch. Once a majority of the liquid has cooked off (I like mine to be almost like a gravy thickness), remove from the heat.
- To serve, place a sausage on the bun and mound the onion and pepper mixture on top. Optional: Top with sliced cheese and allow to melt.
Yields 5 servings.
Eat, Bork, & Be Merry!